Saturday, February 26, 2011

Patidev is a polygamist...

... and I like it!

Patidev is strictly a monogamist at home. However, at work, he has a small harem, and men and women are equally in his little harem. He brews coffee for them; listens about their brats, inlaws and significant others; complains about his; laughs with them; and truly, genuinely worries about them when they are unhappy.


I may have had casual dates at work, but never a work spouse. When I was younger, I just thought it was amusing that he had such close relationships at work. However, as I grow older, and more importantly, grow in my organization, I am starting to realize how important that is. I realize now that, as my career grows, such relationships may not come from the people I work with everyday, who may report into my org, and may be more measured in how they say things to me. So, I am learning to network. I am learning that networking is not about a large number of acquaintances. It is about a smaller number of select friends, who you like, enjoy spending time with, whose judgment and opinion you value, and (at least some) who are removed enough  from your daily life, that you can freely discuss your work dilemmas with them, and get a more objective view.

Networking books all talk about targeting the people with power and influence. However, life has taught me to go with the people I enjoy working with, and help them build influence, as they help me build mine.

In the last year, I have had the good fortune of some who have lent me a hand when I needed one, who have greatly added to my life, my ability to see things more clearly, and to my career.

Valentine's day is past. However, here is a big thank-you to all of you, who romanced me, and a solemn promise to myself that I will build more such relationships, while building upon ours.

No comments: