Thursday, March 17, 2011

What is your personal brand

While I have been writing this blog for a long time, it is really a diary that I ramble to, and not meant to promote anything, including a "personal brand".

I come from a security background, and view most social networking with some skepticism. Four Square is all very nice, but when I lose my credit card, doesn't Justin with an Indian accent ask me "Medum, vots last place you used cradit card, medum?", and isn't that pretty easy for people to deduce, if I am publicizing all the places I patronize?
That said, I have always said that privacy and security are things people will willingly forgo for the right amount of usability. It is all about "how much risk" vs "how much more quality of life". If people wanted to be super safe all the time, houses would have no windows, and no one would drive a car.

Back to the topic. I have recently discovered the existence of "personal brand". Yes, yes. I am a luddite. (That is not a brand I want to portray. I am working very hard to understand this whole social networking space, so cut me some slack.) So, after much thought, this is what I came up for my personal brand:

Two cups of direct, straightforward, honesty
Two cups of genuinely caring about you and the world
Three cups of caring about ME
Three tablespoons of self confidence
Quarter cup (same as three tablespoons, but it sounds more) of self praise to high heavens
          (to my kids, I am God, and I know everything)
Half cup of determination
Mix with the acute need to be better than I was yesterday
Serve with fanfare in a larger than life goblet


No comments: