Friday, April 15, 2011

Big Company

I now work for a really big company. No, I work for a giant company. I had never worked for a big company before coming here, and a sort-of-mentor told me I would not survive a year here. I came anyway.

My thinking? I felt that every small company wants to grow into a bigger company, and the bigger company, into an even bigger company, and so on -- any my company (at the time) was going through some acute growing pains. Well, what better way to learn how to grow into a big company, than to work in one, and understand how it is run? I told myself that I would not give up in a year, and would stay till I learned what I was coming here to learn.

However, I digress. This is not a post about how big companies work. This is a post about how one navigates these oceans. Here are my top tips if you work for, or want to work for, a big company.


1. People you don't know will shape what you can achieve - so make it a point to get to know them. Learn to network. It is not about big gatherings and business cards. It is about small meaningful encounters that go well, and about keeping in touch with those few people outside your org.
2. Execute and advertise. Big companies expect people to work just as hard as small companies. However, they don't always know you, or what you did. So, make it a point to advertise your wins.
3. Help others. Your good karma will come back to you when you least expect it.
4. Actively work on your personal brand.

Do you work for a big company? Do you have other tips?

No comments: