Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ready Made Foods Cooked from Scratch


There are those days, when you are running high temperature, or your foot is stuck under a heavy rock, or your fingers have been chopped off. On such days, I reach out for easy dinners.This only happens every Monday and Friday, and on most Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Tuesday, and on many Saturdays and Sundays.

Today's cooking involves lot less labor than when I was growing up. I use pre-washed salad greens, frozen peas, packaged soup, sliced bread, pita, roti, tortilla. I also buy tahini, ketchup, lemonade, potato chips, and scores of other things that my mom would have made from scratch.

Yet, it feels like it is harder to eat good food. We buy the best organic veggies and fruits money can buy, but between the store shelf and the crisper, they lose most of their nutrients before we eat them. The store bought ketchup has stuff that I would only have seen on a petri dish, and the potato chips have more grease and salt than potato.

Would I then prefer to go back to my mom's era?

Certainly not! I love that I can cook from "scratch" in no time. I love that I can cook any food any time of the year.

Will I continue to wistfully remember the golden days of the past?

Certainly! I want those fresh peas off the garden plant, but want mom to shell them!

No comments: