Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Brat #2 meets my boy next door

Brat #2 has been feeling a bit left out. Conversations with Brat #1 have been whizzing past her, and she has been  pestering me to talk to her about the numbers that can be lines. I told her that she would have to wait for that. However, I would show her something else.

I asked her how many languages she knew.

"Five", she said with confidence. She really only knows English, barely knows Tamil, and claims to know Hindi, Spanish, and Chinese.

I said that I had counted all the languages she knew, and there were 6.

The sixth language, I told her, is Math. I showed her how an equation, is really a statement. Then, we took some random statements and wrote them in Math.

My name = Alice (My name is Alice)
My brats = 2 (I have two brats)
Brat 1 age > Brat 2 age (Brat 1 is older than Brat 2)
and so on...

She is pretty thrilled - less for having learned anything, more for having been the focus of my attention for a while.

No comments: