Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Food Fashion Week


The brats and Patidev have gone to India for summer, and I am here to sell the house, pack, and move to our new house. For the first time in many years, I am rediscovering the perks of cooking for myself. The most joyous part of cooking for oneself is being able to experiment without worrying if it may turn out too over the top. In just a week I have come up with green chutney marinated tofu burger, cucumber guacamole, and mango and dried ginger salsa. Not bad, I tell myself. Then I find myself searching the web to see if anyone else has put the same combinations together, and in the process I have found a whole community of food bloggers. These people take their food very seriously. Many work full time and have kids. Yet, they not only cook complex, exotic dishes, they take the time to take pictures of the food at various stages of preparation! The pictures aren't just pictures, they are closeups that show the mouthwatering colors and textures. Every time my eyes feast on their food, my stomach sings a little hunger song, and I am inspired to go create something that comes close to tasting as good as their food looks.

I will never understand Carrie Bradshaw's fascination with fashion. However, I have felt the same emotions that fashion labels evoke in Carrie Bradshaw and her friends when I get to sample food that tastes, smells and looks heavenly. It is true nirvana. It is the purpose of life.

No comments: